You are here
Our Commitment to Address AMR
Tackling AMR requires the combined efforts of policy leaders, pharmaceutical companies, healthcare professionals and patients. Pfizer recognizes the serious public health threat associated with antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and has taken significant steps to address this growing issue.
- 2016: Pfizer was a signatory of the Declaration, a global call-to-action drafted and signed by more than 100 companies and 13 trade associations encouraging greater industry and government collaboration to address the issue of antimicrobial resistance.
- 2017: As a follow-up to the AMR Declaration, Pfizer and 12 industry partners unveiled the “Industry Roadmap to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance,” a comprehensive plan of action that lays out key commitments we pledge to deliver.
- 2018: Pfizer was recognized by the Access to Medicine Foundation’s AMR Benchmark Report as among the top performing large research-based pharmaceutical companies in infectious diseases, with acknowledgment of strengths in surveillance as demonstrated by the ATLAS database, strong manufacturing commitments and our robust vaccines pipeline.
Pfizer is proud to be at the forefront of providing treatments and solutions to help protect the public health from infectious diseases, now and in the future. We remain committed to expanding our global leadership and developing solutions that go beyond just medicine, working closely with the entire infectious disease community to address AMR through:
To ensure patients receive the correct antibiotic, according to independent guidelines, only if needed and for the right duration.
Innovative Surveillance Tools
To help physicians better understand current resistance patterns.
Global Policy Leadership
To facilitate antibiotic development, proper use, and access to medicines and vaccines.
Medicines and vaccines to help treat and prevent serious infections around the world.
Applying responsible manufacturing practices that minimize impact to human health and the environment.
- World Health Organization. Antibiotic Resistance. February 2018. Available at: http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antibiotic-resistance Last accessed September 2018.
- Pfizer Annual Review 2017. Anti-Infectives. Available at: https://www.pfizer.com/files/investors/financial_reports/annual_reports/2017/our-innovation/anti-infectives/index.html Last accessed September 2018.