Medicine Safety Tips At Home
At home, Anna pays special attention on how to take and store her medicines.
Taking Your Medicine1
Here are some tips on taking medicines more safely in your home. Each time you take your medicines2-4:
- Notice the way the medicine looks including color, size, shape, markings and packaging
- Read the label to make sure you’re taking each medicine as prescribed.
- Check the expiration date of the medicine. Do not take it if it is expired
- Do not break, crush, or chew pills, unless your doctor tells you to. When you take liquid medicine, use the measuring device (spoon or cup) that comes with the medicine or ask for one at the pharmacy
- Do not take someone else’s medicines
If you experience side effects when taking a medicine, call your healthcare provider or pharmacist. Learn more about how to report side effects.