Since our pioneering work on penicillin in the 1940s we have a long and proud heritage of addressing evolving infectious disease challenges.1
As one of the original signatory companies of the Declaration on Combating Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in 20162 and as a Global anti-infectives leader, we remain committed to the development of both innovative medicines and vaccines as well as solutions that go beyond medicine.
We currently offer patients one of the industry’s largest and most diverse portfolios of anti-infectives – more than 80 medicines – including therapies that help address areas of greatest unmet medical need, such as the treatment of Gram-negative bacterial and invasive fungal infections.
Our commitment to research and development (R&D) is focused on both the treatment and prevention of infections caused by difficult-to-treat resistant pathogens. We continue to evaluate opportunities and partnerships to expand our R&D pipeline to ensure we address the evolving medical needs of people and physicians in this important area of infectious disease.
We are working closely with the entire infectious disease community to address AMR through:
- Active Stewardship: To ensure patients receive the correct anti-infective, according to independent guidelines, only if needed and for the right direction.
- Innovative Surveillance Tools: To help physicians better understand current resistance patterns.
- Global Policy Leadership: To facilitate anti-infective development, proper use, and access to medicines and vaccines.
- Diverse Portfolio: Medicines and vaccines to help treat and prevent serious infections around the world.
- Manufacturing: Applying responsible manufacturing practices that minimize impact to human health and the environment.
Our R&D focus is on difficult-to-treat resistant pathogens. We continue to evaluate opportunities and partnerships to expand our R&D pipeline to ensure we address the evolving medical needs of patients and physicians in this important area of infectious disease.
- Our robust vaccine R&D program is one of the largest in the industry, focused on the development of vaccines to help protect against serious public health threats including Clostridioides difficile,Group B Streptococcus,respiratory syncytial virus and Streptococcus pneumoniae.1
- We are actively engaged across all sectors to support R&D including partnerships with the U.S. Government (e.g. BARDA) and EU Innovative Medicines Initiative to foster the development of medicines to treat and prevent multi-drug resistant infections that pose an increasing global threat to public health, in partnership with several other companies.