I joined Pfizer in July 2019 through the acquisition of Therachon and I am currently heading the Pfizer research site in Nice, France and I am the project leader of Recifercept, the asset acquired from Therachon. Before joining Pfizer, I was a Senior Director, Head of Discovery and Biomarker at Therachon.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Heidelberg, Germany working on molecular mechanisms and animal models of Alzheimer’s disease. I joined the pharmaceutical industry at Rhone-Poulenc Rorer in France in the Central Nervous System Department, and I spend 18 years at Roche in Basel. First as a Discovery Laboratory Head in the Neuroscience Department and then as a Biomarker Leader and Section Head in Neuroscience and Rare Diseases, supporting research and clinical development with Biomarkers. Our biomarker support was instrumental for the clinical proof of concept of a therapy for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. The increase of SMN protein which we have seen in the first clinical studies in patients did translate very well into clinical efficacy
I am co-author of more than 80 peer-reviewed articles and reviews and listed as an inventor on seven patents.
Our team is focusing on Achondroplasia, a rare disease caused by a mutation if the FGFR2 receptor. This disease leads to reduced growth and disproportion resulting in severe complications in cranium and axial skeleton. Our treatment approach targets the cause of the disease by inhibiting the ligand depending overactivation of the mutated FGFR3 receptor.
- Targeting Huntingtin Expression in Patients with Huntington's Disease. Tabrizi SJ, Leavitt BR, Landwehrmeyer GB, Wild EJ, Saft C, Barker RA, Blair NF, Craufurd D, Priller J, Rickards H, Rosser A, Kordasiewicz HB, Czech C, Swayze EE, Norris DA, Baumann T, Gerlach I, Schobel SA, Paz E, Smith AV, Bennett CF, Lane RM. (2019) N Engl J Med. 2019 May 6. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1900907.
- The oral splicing modifier RG7800 increases full length survival of motor neuron 2 mRNA and survival of motor neuron protein: Results from trials in healthy adults and patients with spinal muscular atrophy. Kletzl H, Marquet A, Günther A, Tang W, Heuberger J, Groeneveld GJ, Birkhoff W, Mercuri E, Lochmüller H, Wood C, Fischer D, Gerlach I, Heinig K, Bugawan T, Dziadek S, Kinch R, Czech C, Khwaja O. (2019) Neuromuscul Disord. 2019 Jan;29(1):21-29. doi: 10.1016/j.nmd.2018.10.001. Epub 2018 Oct 30
- Evaluation of smartphone-based testing to generate exploratory outcome measures in a phase 1 Parkinson's disease clinical trial. Lipsmeier, F., Taylor, K. I., Kilchenmann, T., Wolf, D., Scotland, A., Schjodt-Eriksen, J., Cheng, W. Y., Fernandez-Garcia, I., Siebourg-Polster, J., Jin, L., Soto, J., Verselis, L., Boess, F., Koller, M., Grundman, M., Monsch, A. U., Postuma, R. B., Ghosh, A., Kremer, T., Czech, C., Gossens, C., & Lindemann, M. (2018). Mov Disord. doi:10.1002/mds.27376
- Longitudinal characterization of biomarkers for spinal muscular atrophy. Bonati, U., Holiga, S., Hellbach, N., Risterucci, C., Bergauer, T., Tang, W., Hafner, P., Thoeni, A., Bieri, O., Gerlach, I., Marquet, A., Khwaja, O., Sambataro, F., Bertolino, A., Dukart, J., Fischmann, A., Fischer, D., & Czech, C. (2017). Annals of clinical and translational neurology, 4(5), 292-304. doi:10.1002/acn3.406
- Glypican-2 levels in cerebrospinal fluid predict the status of adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Lugert, S., Kremer, T., Jagasia, R., Herrmann, A., Aigner, S., Giachino, C., Mendez-David, I., Gardier, A. M., Carralot, J. P., Meistermann, H., Augustin, A., Saxe, M. D., Lamerz, J., Duran-Pacheco, G., Ducret, A., Taylor, V., David, D. J., & Czech, C. (2017). Scientific reports, 7, 46543. doi:10.1038/srep46543
University of Heidelberg, Diploma thesis 1991,
University of Heidelberg, pHD program 1994
“The aim of my professional life is to make a difference to the life of the patients.”