Compensation to Investigators in Clinical Studies
Pfizer compensates investigators for providing protocol-required services for Pfizer-sponsored studies.
Compensation must be:
- Fair, reasonable, and equitable to fair market value.
- Explicitly identified in the investigator contract and linked to their performing specific and necessary protocol-required services (e.g., medical procedures, collection of data).
- Specified in the informed consent that the investigator is being compensated by Pfizer.
Compensation must not be tied to the outcome of studies or include:
- Pfizer stock or stock options.
- Payments to physicians outside a study for referring subjects to investigators for entry into that study.
- Any services performed by an investigator outside of the study (e.g., consulting services, honoraria, speaking engagements). These must be documented in a separate agreement.
- Compensation for authorship of a primary publication about the results of the study.
- Advanced payments in the United States.