Waste and Recycling
Environmental stewardship includes managing waste in a responsible manner. Pfizer takes a multi-faceted approach by focusing on source reduction, waste minimization, and recycling improvements. Typically this is done at both the site and regional level by establishing targets to reduce the generation of solid waste and to reuse solvents through recovery processes.
With the establishment of Pfizer's Green Journey, the company is taking a more holistic approach to managing waste by minimizing the environmental impact of our products and processes across the supply chain and life cycle of our products.
In particular, we aim to:
- Decrease waste generated through source reduction activities.
- Improve recycling methods.
- Effectively manage waste generated to reduce its potential impact on health and the environment.
- Choose responsible waste vendors to manage our waste.
- We encourage the proper disposal of unused medicines. Learn more here: Unused Medicines Can Do a World of Harm
- Medicine safety tips at home: Medicine Safety Tips At Home
Notable actions we're undertaking to meet our waste and recycling goals include:
- Applying green chemistry principles in research, development and manufacturing processes;
- Exploring means to reuse, recover, or recycle solvents;
- Developing action plans to capitalize on waste minimization opportunities;
- Supporting waste reduction and recycling efforts across our supply chain; and
- Conducting pre-selection waste vendor audits and subsequent assessments to ensure standards are being met.